Mobile phones news

  • »
  • »
  • Fujitsu buys out Toshiba's shares in their joint venture

Fujitsu buys out Toshiba's shares in their joint venture

02 April 2012
Tags: Android

We first heard this news yesterday, but naturally we thought that it might be an April Fool's Day prank, so we decided to wait until today, in order to officially inform you. However, it turns out that the news is true, and that Fujitsu acquired Toshiba’s stake in their mobile joint venture.

Fujitsu buys out Toshiba's shares in their joint venture

Consequently, Fujitsu Toshiba Mobile Communications (FTMC) officially seized to exist, being replaced by Fujitsu Mobile Communications Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of Fujitsu. The FTMC was established back in October 2010, with Fujitsu being the alpha dog (80.1% of shares), while Toshiba held the rest of the 19.9%.

FTMC, and now FMC, are best known in Japan, where they made phones for carriers like KDDI. One noticeable handset from them is the IS12T (picture above) which was the first device to run Windows Phone 7.5 Mango.

Later this year, the company plans to expand to Europe, with both Android and Windows Phone handsets. The other important Japanese phone maker is Panasonic, which also tries hard to make it this year, so we're looking forward for this samurai-manufacturer fight.

 






Related news:

Fujitsu buys out Toshiba's shares in their joint venture - comments


0 Comments