Samsung are going to great lengths to pile pressure on the LG Cookie. While the Samsung S5600 Preston aims to outdo it, the 5230 Star is set for a head-on collision course. This starlet's middle name is Tocco Lite and that's plenty to live up to.
The name itself is no shortcut to stardom but the Tocco pedigree certainly brings with it certain expectations of quality. So will this little Star still be going strong a year from launch? The S5230 certainly has all the ingredients, now all we need to do is see if Samsung has got the mix right.
Add a dash of touchscreen and nifty unlock, a pinch of smart looks and document viewer, DNSe and smile shutter to taste. Samsung's widget-wielding TouchWiz makes reading the recipe a cinch.
It's a dish that's already proving popular - the Star is already shifting over a million units per month and Samsung expect to total 10 million sold by the end of the year. Certainly an ambitious plan, but they just might pull it off - the Star is set to become one of Samsung's bestsellers.
Samsung S5230 official photo
Samsung S5230 main features:
- GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, GPRS/EDGE class 12
- Dimensions: 104.0 x 53.0 x 11.9 mm, 93.5 g
- 3" resistive TFT touchscreen, WQVGA resolution (240 x 400 pixels)
- 50MB onboard storage, microSD card slot (up to 16GB)
- 3 megapixel fixed focus camera with smile detection
- Bluetooth 2.1 with A2DP, USB v.2.0
- Document viewer
- Smart unlock
- Accelerometer sensor
- FM radio with RDS
- Find Music recognition service
- 1000 mAh battery, up to 800 h of standby
- No 3G
- Proprietary connectivity port
- Slightly more expensive than the LG KP500 Cookie
- No way to directly switch between running apps
- The camera is quite basic - uninspiring picture quality, no autofocus or flash
- Non-hot-swappable microSD slot